Friday, May 21, 2010

Brain Drain problem?

Somehow, i come across this while posting at LYN forum.

Questions by easylife :
As a PhD holder in Computer Science from a New Zealand University, I'm wondering how much I can earn as a lecturer in a public and private university (Monash, Nottingham) back in Malaysia. I expect at least RM8000. Is this possible? I would consider working in Australia, NZ, Singapore or HK if salary is low in Bolehland.

I'm single, 29 years old guy. So, don't comment on family expenditure



A reply:

Hi EasyLife, if you are still in New Zealand, I strongly recommend that you try to find a job there and gain 2-3 years experience plus salary is probably higher (plus the higher currency rate). And if at all possible, try to work there for 10 years, if you really wanna, gotta, have ta go back to Malaysia, at least you have a bunch of money saved (supposed you have a financial plan), this is one way to make money faster than working in Malaysia:

Example #1 - Work in NZ - Supposed you earn NZD5000/month in NZ: 5000 * 2.25 = RM11250 per month or MYR135K a year. Considering worst case scenario that you never receive any raise in 10 years, you would still earn RM1,350,000 (of course, after income tax and all, it's probably around RM1 Mil).

Example #2 - Work in Malaysia - Supposed you earn RM5000 and all the assumptions remained the same as previous example - RM60K * 10 yr = RM600K

That's a pretty obvious choice, isn't it? Now let's say you're sick with NZ after 10 yrs of work without any raise, you bring your RM1,000,000 and stick it to several saving/FD accounts, depending on the rate at the time, it'll still generate at least RM1K interest per month. Or, if you had been great in investing your money, you would probably already own a couple houses and shops that generating monthly rental income for you.

Speaking from my personal experience, I'm 35 and have been working in US for 8 yrs (Master in info science, working as application developer). If I'm willing, I can retire at age 40, go back to Malaysia and do not have to work at all for the rest of my life, of course this is based on my minimalist lifestyle.

The world is big and options are unlimited.

Ads: 468x60