Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Some take away lessons from work

Teachers typically assigned to come for our class to teach us in school. We are not given any special right to choose whichever teachers that we like or favour to teach us in whatsoever subjects we want, unless it will be a different story if it is a tuition class.

In the workplace, it is just the same. When we step into the working world, we will have a manager whom we are supposed to report to and there will be no specialty for us to choose whoever person we like to be our manager or boss. Hence, having a good manager is definitely important in our career life.

I am blessed I can have experience for having various managers throughout my assignment in different departments. But at the same time, what I am aware of now is to take every opportunity present to learn as much as I can.

Well, yesterday, there is this manager whom I am now working with, giving me some valuable pieces of advices. I would like to share them here:
For a fresh graduate like me, it is better to make as many mistakes as possible and then learn from it. For a fresh start, it is reasonably to have made mistake because only through the mistake we make, we will be able to learn. Be patient even when you are scolded by your boss for the mistake you make for this will be a very grounding platform for you to always remember it and take it as your lesson.



Always give your 100% efforts in the work or projects your boss assigned you to do. After I have done with my project and present it to my manager, he asked me how many percent that I think that I have done for this project and I replied him I have given 70%. Then, he asked me back where is the other 30%. What I keep it for? The reason why I answered 70% is because I thought that I have still some things which I need to learn from him, but he said this is not what he mean.

Thereafter, he said to me that in order to get your boss to be impressed is not do what he expects, but beyond what he expects. Just say, your boss give you a project and want you to submit to him by tomorrow. If you submit to him by tomorrow, it means you are meeting his expectations. What if you submit to him by today, would you think he will be impressed by it?

Well, personally to me, it is not actually the time or the speed that counts, but the ultimate quality of the works that we produced. But somehow rather, my boss is right about it, only though speed and quality at both will we be able to make the good impressions.

Besides, speaking about the quality of the work. My boss is pretty particular about the slide show that we prepare and present. I would like to pinpoint some of the things that he is so particular about:

1.Font 

Do no ever use fancy fonts in your power point presentation. For example: How are you?
It is better just to stick to a proper one- Times New Roman: How are you?

2. Taboo while doing presentation
  •  When presenter wishes to pause for a while and blank the slide, it is very common to see the presenter will use some cardboard or piece of paper to cover the projector screen. In fact, it is not necessary to do so because you can easily blank the screen by pressing the button SHIFT + B (if you want to blank the screen black) or SHIFT + W (if you want to blank the screen white). It is just as simple as that.
  • Press the number 4 + Enter on the keypad if you wish to go back to the slide say number 4. You do not have to necessarily press the up and down button to go back to the slide you wish to. 
3.Do not squeezed the original size of the photos. It will just spoilt the image of the photos.

4. For drawing, make sure it is according the proper scale.


So, you could see my boss comments even when it is just a short presentation of my assignment. Working life is all about learning from scratch and be humble in our approach to seek knowledge! :)

Ads: 468x60